HexCon is coming to NYC. Catch the early-bird price before the time's up! Book me a spot

Windows OS Update ConfigurationSolved

Participant
Discussion
3 years ago

Hi There,

I am trying to get windows update settings into a policy but I cant see that as an option.
Does hexnode support that?

Thanks

Replies (15)

Marked SolutionPending Review
Hexnode Expert
3 years ago

Hi Paul,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

Currently Windows OS updates cannot be done via policy through Hexnode. However, you can deploy scripts via Hexnode to your managed devices.

Thus, you can deploy a script to update the OS of your devices. Scripting helps you resolve various device level changes you need to make across multiple devices. You can find scripts online/ develop them on your own. Please do refer our blog post as well.

Cheers!

Thomas Specter
Hexnode MDM

Participant
3 years ago

Something I’ve asked in the past as well and they don’t have anything in regards to updates available for Windows for some reason.

Hexnode Expert
3 years ago

Hello Brad,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

We are extremely sorry for keeping you waiting. The feature to configure the OS update settings for Windows is in our roadmap. Once the feature rolls out, you will be able to configure patch updates and much more. It will be truly worth the wait!! Till then please use custom scripts to push updates. Read our doc to know more about executing scripts for Windows devices.

We will surely notify you once the feature releases. Do check out our Release Notes to get the latest updates.

Cheers!!
Deborah Timothy
Hexnode UEM

Participant
3 years ago

I’ve been browsing the internet for scripts to upgrade Windows OS, but I’m having trouble deciding which one to use. Could you please give any functional scripts for running the Windows OS update?

Hexnode Expert
3 years ago

Hi Elvira,
Thanks for your query.
You can use the following batch script to download and install OS updates in Windows.

usoclient ScanInstallWait
usoclient StartInstall
timeout /t time _to_wait_in seconds
usoclient RestartDevice

You can go to Manage > Devices and click on Execute Custom Script from the Actions drop-down menu to deploy the script via Hexnode.
Please validate the script by manually executing it on a device before running it in bulk.

Cheers!
Evin Lee
Hexnode UEM

Participant
3 years ago

I executed the script manually, but there was no result on the terminal. How can i ensure that the script is working?

Hexnode Expert
3 years ago

@Elvira
Running the usoclient.exe commands manually or through the Hexnode portal won’t return any feedbacks. Hence, to ensure that the commands are working, go to Settings > Windows Update on the devices and check if updates are downloading.

Participant
3 years ago

Hi, we prefer PowerShell scripts over batch scripts. Could you please share any custom PowerShell scripts for updating Windows OS?

Hexnode Expert
3 years ago

Hey @Zaina
Thanks for reaching out to us.
You can use the following PowerShell script.

Install-WindowsUpdate -ForceDownload -ForceInstall – AcceptAll

But make sure to install PSWindowsUpdate module before executing the above script.
You can install the module silently by executing the script given below.

Install-Module PSWindowsUpdate Install-PackageProvider NuGet –Force Set-PSRepository
PSGallery -InstallationPolicy Trusted Install-Module SQLServer -Repository PSGallery

Regards,
Evin Lee
Hexnode UEM

Participant
1 year ago

Hello All, I see Windows Update has been on the table since 2021! Any updates for the Windows Update ??

I am really thinking of getting this for my org but not having the Windows Update feature is pretty big, running scripts seems scatchy.

Your thoughts?

Hexnode Expert
1 year ago

Hello @noel-vega, welcome to Hexnode Community!

We realize that we’ve been keeping you waiting for longer than intended. Hang on for just a li’l while longer as our team works on it with high priority.

But in the meanwhile, please check out the features we’ve recently released and many more that we have in store for you.

Regards,
Chloe Edison
Hexnode UEM

Participant
10 months ago

There appears to be another thread saying the same thing from Q1 this year so I’ll post a similar reply to request an update:
Now that you have what you call an official Windows “UEM” client, when will patching be available? This is a pretty basic feature but incredibly important to have before rolling this out to our PCs.

Hexnode Expert
10 months ago

Hello @tonyl,

We will soon be releasing a beta version of the feature that enables you to deploy the latest available update to your devices. We will keep you updated as we progress.

Best regards,
Chloe Edison
Hexnode UEM

Participant
2 months ago

Any update here @chloe_edison ?

Hexnode Expert
2 months ago

Hello @evan-robinson, welcome to Hexnode Connect!

Yes, the Patches & Updates policies have been released and are well-received. We’ve also just released a few more enhancements with respect to patch management on Windows devices. Do check out the Release Note for further details.

Feel free to reach out in case of any doubts or concerns.

Best regards,
Chloe Edison
Hexnode UEM