HexCon is coming to NYC. Catch the early-bird price before the time's up! Book me a spot

VPN security issues on iOSSolved

Participant
Discussion
2 years ago

I recently read an article about a bug that affects VPN on iPhones and iPads. In that article, the report pointed out that VPNs on iOS may cause data leaks. It is a serious problem with privacy that concerns people like us.

Has anyone here heard of this issue?

Replies (4)

Marked SolutionPending Review
Participant
2 years ago

@Frida I depend on my iOS devices for most tasks and activities. I always use a VPN to ensure security, and this is completely unexpected. Has Apple addressed this issue?

Participant
2 years ago

Yes @Deborah, but the response from Apple is not entirely satisfactory for everyone. They said that iOS traffic was being exempted from VPN protection “as expected”. They suggested and provided a solution tailored only to focus on enterprise-enrolled users of MDM solutions.

Participant
2 years ago

@eugene, does that mean an MDM solution’s VPN connection can resolve the data leak issue on corporate iOS devices? How does that work?

Participant
2 years ago

@Frida, you can customize your VPN connection for iOS devices, using the “Always On VPN” feature. This feature allows you more control over your network connections. You can direct specific traffic to pass through a VPN tunnel. You can set it up under Policies > iOS > VPN > Connection Type > Always-on. But it only works on supervised iOS devices.

Here, I’ll add the help document link if you would like to read more about it:

https://www.hexnode.com/mobile-device-management/help/ios-vpn-settings/