HexCon is coming to NYC. Catch the early-bird price before the time's up! Book me a spot

Unable to install pkg via scriptSolved

Participant
Discussion
3 months ago

Hello there!

I’ve recently encountered an issue while attempting to install an app in pkg format to my Mac via a script from the Hexnode portal.

The action history tab indicates a successful installation of the app, but the output reveals that it failed, accompanied by the following error message:

The installation failed. (The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance. An error occurred while running)

Replies (3)

Marked SolutionPending Review
Participant
3 months ago

Have you tried installing the app using the install application remote action from the Hexnode portal? Also, could you confirm if your Mac has an Intel or Silicon processor? If it is a Silicon processor, you might need to install Rosetta 2 to run apps that are only compatible with Intel Macs.

Participant
3 months ago

I’m using an Intel Mac, so Rosetta 2 isn’t necessary for installing and running apps.
Also, when attempting to push the app via the install application remote action, the installation fails with error code 1001.

I’m trying to install the app specifically with the help of a script. Are there any workarounds for this issue?

Hexnode Expert
3 months ago

Hello @aaron !

After analyzing your issue, it seems that the problem may have been caused by installing an ARM-supported app on an Intel-based Mac. This mismatch in architecture might be the root cause of the problem you’re experiencing.

Apple’s Silicon chip uses a different architecture (ARM) compared to Intel’s x86 architecture, which means that apps created specifically for ARM architecture would not run on x86 architecture. When you try to install an ARM-build app on an Intel Mac, errors may occur. In some cases, the installation may proceed but the app may fail to launch or exhibit unexpected behavior when run.

To resolve this, it is best to download and install apps that are specifically made for your Mac’s architecture. If an app is only available in ARM architecture and you have an Intel-based Mac, you may need to wait for a version of the app that is compatible with ARM architecture or consider alternative apps that are compatible with Intel Macs.

Feel free to reach out if you encounter any more issues or have further questions after trying the solution provided above.

Best Regards,
Ben
Hexnode UEM