Mac DEP enrollment unsuccessful

expand collapsive

I wonder why the Remote Management screen does not appear. The device is not enrolled. The Setup Assistant proceeds to Data & Privacy soon after choosing the country. Only 2 Macs from the set of 100 shows this kind of misbehaviour. Hence, we stopped the enrollment procedure midway.

Have come across too many posts saying renewing the DEP token from the ABM account. It didn’t work either.
Im totally stumped. Don’t know what to do!

All Replies

• Hexnode

Catherine

Keymaster

Unfortunately, Apple has not successfully fixed this issue to date. However, you may overcome this problem using the sudo profiles renew -type enrollment command.

This command executed from the Terminal enforces the enrollment. Yet, you need root access to the device to run it from the Setup Assistant. Since the language chooser is the first page on the Setup Assistant, we can begin with re-enabling the language chooser. Then, you may initiate the Terminal session with root access.

1. Boot the device into recovery mode. (Press Command-R. Next, open Utilities > Terminal)
    2. Execute the command:
      touch /var/db/.RunLanguageChooserToo
    3. Quit Terminal. Reboot back to the system volume. The language chooser screen appears.
    4. Next, open a root Terminal session by pressing the following keys in combination, control, command, option and T.
    5. Run the command:
      profiles renew -type enrollment

Though it requires manual intervention, you should be able to get the device enrolled successfully in most cases.

Catherine George
    Hexnode UEM

• Participant

Elfie

Participant

Im happy that it’s just not me who is troubled my Mac DEP enrollment. The enrollment fails by prompting an error message “An error occurred while obtaining configuration settings”.

• Hexnode

Catherine

Keymaster

Regarding your specifications @roros @elfie, I guess it’s the same longstanding bug with enrollment that deteriorates the process. However, you can follow the abovementioned process and run the command profiles renew -type enrollment command.

Cheers,
    Catherine George
    Hexnode UEM

• Participant

lapz

Participant

DEP enrollment is one of the preferred device provisioning techniques within our organization. We have been using it comfortably with macOS and iOS. But at times when the device fails to connect to the MDM service during the device setup, we made use of the profiles command to re-initiate the enrollment, and it worked fine. But now the command does not return the prompt to download the profile.

• Participant

lapz

Participant

Yes, but in vain. I also attempted enrolling with a different network configuration. At last, booted the device to recovery, wiped it and re-installed the macOS. On some devices the prompt to download the profile showed up after some days. Other devices are still unfortunate that the prompt does not appear no matter what.

• Hexnode

Catherine

Keymaster

Happy to help!!

When you run the profiles command on Mac, check the following conditions of the device:

• Network quality
    • Batter level
    • Thermal state

For instance, you tried re-installing macOS when the device is plugged into a power source. Hence, the heat generated on the CPU could be higher. This temperature variation may be inappropriate. In such cases, you can do nothing but wait until the CPU cools down.

Likewise, ensure that all the conditions mentioned above are favorable. Further, you may proceed with the command profiles renew -type enrollment.