HexCon is coming to NYC. Catch the early-bird price before the time's up! Book me a spot

Issues while installing Windows EXE app in kiosk modeSolved

Participant
Discussion
3 months ago

Hey there!

I’m running into some issues with installing a Windows EXE app in kiosk mode. I deployed single app kiosk policy to one of my Windows devices and applied the remote action to install an EXE app. Here’s a breakdown of how I set up the EXE app installation action:

1. Unchecked the “install silently” option.
  2. Since it’s a system-level app, I made sure to install it at the system level.
  3. Unchecked options for forcing device restart, installation command, and installation timeout.
  4. For success criteria, I set it to “App Exists” and provided the app identifier.
  5. Also, enabled the “retry” option and set it to three retries.

Since I disabled silent app installation, I expected the device to prompt for manual installation. However, no installation prompt appeared. I suspect there might be an issue with the EXE app installation through Hexnode.

Do you guys have a solution to tackle this?

Replies (1)

Marked SolutionPending Review
Hexnode Expert
3 months ago
Marked SolutionPending Review

Hello, @wilma ! Thanks for getting in touch with us.

When you install an EXE application in kiosk mode, it essentially prevents any prompted installations, regardless of whether it’s in a single-app or multi-app kiosk setup. However, if you require prompting for the installation of the EXE app on your Windows devices while in kiosk mode, a workaround exists. You can execute the EXE app installation before applying the kiosk policy to the devices. This way, you can smoothly add the desired app into your kiosk mode.

I hope this helps you out. If you have any further difficulties or questions, don’t hesitate to reach out.

Best regards,
Ben
Hexnode UEM