Feature Request – Admin Mode

expand collapsive

So if I set and push a policy to a device, if there is more than kiosk mode – disabling kiosk mode doesn’t help a whole lot for the administrative side of things.
So under the action menu there should be an administrator mode and user mode. User mode being with the policy – Administrator being where there are no restrictions – that way I don’t have to delete the policy and readd it every time I need to change something on the device

All Replies

• Hi Alan,

Hope you are doing well,

We completely understand the situation and that you would occasionally have to get the policies removed from the devices once in a while. For simplicity and granular control, you would be using separate policies for different restrictions, mandatory apps and kiosk mode as well. Under such situations, it would be hard to lift the restrictions if each of the policies has to be removed from the device.  We would like to appreciate you bringing this to our attention and we shall consider a workflow like using an admin mode and a user mode.

In the meantime, you could have a local user created from Manage > User > New user and have this serve as the admin mode. Instead of associating policies with the devices, you could have them associated with the users to whom the devices are assigned. You could ensure that no policies are associated with the local user created that is used to represent the admin mode.

In the event that the policies have to be removed from the device, you can navigate to Manage > Click on the device name > Actions > Change owner. From here, you can switch the user from the current user (with policies associated) to the local user created (with no policy associated). This way, all policies would be removed from the device and it would be equivalent to the admin mode you described. Once this is completed and the policies have to be associated with the device once more, you can change the user back to the previous user of the device.

Please do try out this workaround and let us know if you are able to get this done or if there are any difficulties that you are experiencing.

Stay safe and have a great day

Cheers!
    Jeff Black
    Hexnode MDM