Bluetooth scanning not working for app in work profile

expand collapsive

Hi guys. We have installed a few apps on our employee devices through hexnode. One app uses bluetooth to find nearby devices. Using the app from the work profile doesn’t initiate the bluetooth scan. But the app works perfectly from the personal profile, the device scan is not affected. Does anyone know why this is caused.

All Replies

• Participant

Amber

Participant

I experienced the same problem when using the Bluetooth Finder BLE scanner app on my oneplpus device. The device scanning runs on the personal app but the work app doesn’t start the device scan. Is this a problem associated with hexnode?

• Participant

_patricia_

Participant

I tried using an app made by a partner with thebluetooth discovery option on a knox device, I was able to activate the bluetooth discovery on both the personal and work profile. But I faced the same problem when I ran the app on a non knox device.

• Participant

William

Participant

This can be a bug seen on Android devices while using the Bluetooth feature to discover nearby devices. Apps using BluetoothAdapter.startDiscovery() method to initiate the Bluetooth discovery can face this problem. For example, apps running in the personal profile can successfully initiate Bluetooth discovery, but their respective work apps can’t. This is the result of the difference in UID of the startDiscovery() method used in the personal and work profile. Use the link for reference https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/138670165.

@Amber Probably not. As mentioned, this should be a problem that is caused by the Android OS.

• Participant

Gretchen

Participant

Thanks for pointing out the problem wiliam. Is there any ETA on when android will fix the issue or any workaround for the problem. Because we have deployed the app to bulk users and we are waiting for the fix to run the app.