Android devices inactive even after power on

expand collapsive

Hey, I have a dozen devices enrolled into Hexnode. Recently I noticed that some of my Samsung devices are shown as inactive even after turning them on. They become active only after unlocking the device.

All Replies

• Participant

kendrick

Participant

I think Samsung devices running on higher Android versions need to be unlocked if some background services are to function properly. Can you please confirm if you have locked your devices with a PIN/Password?

• Hey Kent0n,

Thank you for reaching out to us!

Samsung devices running on Android 9.0 and above have been introduced with a new security feature called “Strong Protection”. It encrypts the data stored in those devices using the keys derived from the user’s password instead of the default cryptographic keys. As a result, most apps and background services will not start running until the user unlocks the device for the first time after turning on the device.

Even if the Hexnode UEM application has been granted Device Owner or Device Admin permissions on devices in which strong protection has been enabled, it will not run in the background until the device has been unlocked.

You can turn off this feature by navigating to Settings > Biometrics and Security > Other security settings and disabling “Strong Protection”. However, turning off the feature will reduce the security of your devices.

Hope this clears your query.

Cheers!
    Chris Coleman
    Hexnode UEM