Windows OS Update Configuration

expand collapsive

Hi There,

I am trying to get windows update settings into a policy but I cant see that as an option.
Does hexnode support that?

Thanks

All Replies

• Hexnode

thomas-specter

Hi Paul,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

Currently Windows OS updates cannot be done via policy through Hexnode. However, you can deploy scripts via Hexnode to your managed devices.

Thus, you can deploy a script to update the OS of your devices. Scripting helps you resolve various device level changes you need to make across multiple devices. You can find scripts online/ develop them on your own. Please do refer our blog post as well.

Cheers!

Thomas Specter
    Hexnode MDM

• Hello Brad,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

We are extremely sorry for keeping you waiting. The feature to configure the OS update settings for Windows is in our roadmap. Once the feature rolls out, you will be able to configure patch updates and much more. It will be truly worth the wait!! Till then please use custom scripts to push updates. Read our doc to know more about executing scripts for Windows devices.

We will surely notify you once the feature releases. Do check out our Release Notes to get the latest updates.

Cheers!!
    Deborah Timothy
    Hexnode UEM

• Participant

Elvira

Participant

I’ve been browsing the internet for scripts to upgrade Windows OS, but I’m having trouble deciding which one to use. Could you please give any functional scripts for running the Windows OS update?

• Hi Elvira,
    Thanks for your query.
    You can use the following batch script to download and install OS updates in Windows.

usoclient ScanInstallWait
    usoclient StartInstall
    timeout /t time _to_wait_in seconds
    usoclient RestartDevice

You can go to Manage > Devices and click on Execute Custom Script from the Actions drop-down menu to deploy the script via Hexnode.
    Please validate the script by manually executing it on a device before running it in bulk.

Cheers!
    Evin Lee
    Hexnode UEM

• @Elvira
    Running the usoclient.exe commands manually or through the Hexnode portal won’t return any feedbacks. Hence, to ensure that the commands are working, go to Settings > Windows Update on the devices and check if updates are downloading.

• Hey @Zaina
    Thanks for reaching out to us.
    You can use the following PowerShell script.

Install-WindowsUpdate -ForceDownload -ForceInstall – AcceptAll

But make sure to install PSWindowsUpdate module before executing the above script.
    You can install the module silently by executing the script given below.

Install-Module PSWindowsUpdate Install-PackageProvider NuGet –Force Set-PSRepository
    PSGallery -InstallationPolicy Trusted Install-Module SQLServer -Repository PSGallery

Regards,
    Evin Lee
    Hexnode UEM

• Participant

Noel

Participant

Hello All, I see Windows Update has been on the table since 2021! Any updates for the Windows Update ??

I am really thinking of getting this for my org but not having the Windows Update feature is pretty big, running scripts seems scatchy.

Your thoughts?

• Participant

Tony

Participant

There appears to be another thread saying the same thing from Q1 this year so I’ll post a similar reply to request an update:
    Now that you have what you call an official Windows “UEM” client, when will patching be available? This is a pretty basic feature but incredibly important to have before rolling this out to our PCs.