Wipe on mac

expand collapsive

Wanted to reassign our mac. I executed a remote wipe on the mac (company owned) and now I am being asked to reinstall the OS. What sorcery is this? Don’t remember getting anything like this for other devices. Is the previous user of the device responsible for this?

All Replies

• Hexnode

Deborah

Hello zOIA,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

Executing the Wipe Device action from the UEM on the macOS device erases the device completely. Wiping the device will even remove the OS. Once the system reboots, you will be asked to reinstall the OS. Note that Wipe Device action is supported on macOS 10.7+ devices. You will have to give the Find My Mac PIN to erase macOS 10.8+ devices. You can set up this PIN while configuring the Wipe Device action in Hexnode.

Hope that helps.
    Cheers!!
    Deborah Timothy
    Hexnode UEM

• Participant

zOlA

Participant

Not able to reinstall the OS. The Mac didn’t ask for the password and booted directly to recovery partition which is strange. Usually it asks for my password after a reset. From recovery partition, I rebooted to normal mode but couldn’t go far. I am again directed back to the macOS recovery partition.  Seems like I am stuck in this cycle.

• Hexnode

Deborah

@zo Unfortunately, this seems to be an issue with macOS Catalina with Apple T2 Security Chip affecting all UEMs. Try upgrading to the latest version of the OS and check if the problem persists.

Cheers!!
    Deborah Timothy
    Hexnode UEM