Block users from sharing internet on Android phones

expand collapsive

Hi folks, I have around 140 employees under me and I wanted to block them from sharing internet using their Android devices. Is it possible to deny them this feature using an MDM?

All Replies

• Participant

Denise

Participant

I think you’ll be able to restrict internet sharing in Android devices. Can you log in to your Hexnode portal and check out the restrictions for Android device in the Policies section? You should be able to block internet sharing from there.

• Participant

cheryl_2

Participant

I did find the option inside the “Advanced restrictions” but when I applied the restriction to the devices, I was still able to perform internet sharing from the devices. Can someone tell me why this is happening…?

• Hey cheryl_2,

Thank you for reaching out to us!

Hexnode provides you with the option to prevent users from sharing the internet from their Android devices. You can log into your Hexnode portal and navigate to Policies -> New Policy -> Android -> Advanced Restrictions -> Allow Connectivity Options and disable the option “Configure Hotspot and Tethering” to prevent users from configuring tethering and portable hotspots from their Android devices. You can also disable internet sharing from Policies -> Android -> Restrictions by disabling the Tethering option.

For this feature to work, you need to have a device running Samsung Knox 1.0+, or the devices have to be enrolled in Android Enterprise as Device Owner.

Hope this answers your query.

Cheers!
    Chris Coleman
    Hexnode UEM

• Participant

Kayle

Participant

Hi guys.. I have disabled internet sharing in my devices from the method explained above… But I’d like to allow USB tethering alone and at the same time disable Wi-Fi hotspot. Can someone help me with this?

• Hey Kayle,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

We do have the option to selectively allow USB tethering to be enabled in your device while disabling access to Bluetooth tethering and Wi-Fi Hotspot at the same time. You can navigate to Policies -> New Policy -> Android -> Restrictions -> Allow Network Settings and set the configurations for the following options as given below:

• Tethering – Checked [Checked by default]
    • USB Tethering – Checked
    • Bluetooth Tethering – Unchecked
    • Portable Wi-Fi Hotspot – Always Off

Once you have configured these options, you can associate the policy to your device to only allow USB tethering while disabling Bluetooth tethering and Wi-Fi hotspot in those devices.

This feature functions only on Samsung Knox 1.0+ devices.

Hope this answers your query.

Cheers!
    Chris Coleman
    Hexnode UEM