Unable to change user account password on Mac

expand collapsive

I’m not able to change the user account password (admin account) on my Mac. The ‘Change Password’ option is greyed out with the error “Cannot change the password for managed user account”. It has nothing to do with any policies or restrictions because there are none. Anyone else facing this issue?

All Replies

• Participant

_patricia_

Participant

Have you installed any antivirus or other security applications on the device? There’s a chance these kinds of software might interfere with the device settings and usually causes problems with the system performance.

• Participant

Travis

Participant

Resolved! I used the same Apple ID as on my iphone and turns out that the screen time restrictions set on my iphone got applied to the Mac as well. I was able to change the password after screen time settings was turned off.

Thanks for the reply @_patricia_ .

• Hey, @travis. Thank you for reaching out on Hexnode Connect!

The Screen Time settings will be shared across all your Apple devices if you’ve signed in using the same Apple ID, and ‘Share Across Devices’ is enabled on any device signed in to iCloud.

If you want to keep Screen Time turned on and allow Passcode changes on the device, navigate to System Preferences > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions > Other and enable Passcode Changes under Allow Changes.

Glad to hear the issue has been resolved!

Cheers!
    Chris Wheeler
    Hexnode UEM