Prevent login to app store

expand collapsive

Hi folks,
I want to allow my employees to only access the apps I want them to in their mac. Unfortunately, if they are able to access App Store this becomes a problem. Can you suggest a way to ensure that my users do not have access to App Store and cannot install any apps without my consent?

All Replies

• Hey @archie_e, Thanks for reaching out to us!

We offer various levels of restrictions for the App Store within Policies > Advanced Restrictions that you can use as per your requirements.

As per your query, if you want to completely restrict/remove App Store from the device of your user, you can simply
    Go to Policies > macOS > Blacklist/Whitelist > Select Blacklist > Add App Store. 

Hope this answers your query.

Cheers!
    Emma Jones
    Hexnode UEM

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by  Emma Jones.
  • Participant

lennon

Participant

Hey, I don’t wanna remove appstore fully from my user device coz they should still be able to do app updates. Is there a way they can do the updates but can’t install apps? Also can I let just admin only install apps?

• Hi @lennon, We have great news for you!

You can apply various specific restrictions within App Store without removing the App Store itself, just like you needed.

You can allow users to only access the “Updates” tab with the list of apps available for their Mac in the App Store toolbar.

• Go to Policies > macOS > Advanced Restrictions > Check ‘Restrict App Store to Software Updates Only’.

Additionally, the App Store can be used to update only those apps which are installed via MDM and Apple software updates.

• Go to Policies > macOS > Advanced Restrictions > Check ‘Restrict App Store to apps installed via MDM and software updates only.’ 

And you can definitely enable app installation to be done only by users with admin privileges. This way, users get to browse App Store but are restricted from installing apps unless they have admin privileges.

• Go to Policies > macOS > Advanced Restrictions > Check ‘Restrict app installations to admin users.’ 

You can also prevent the users from adopting iLife and iWork apps (iMovie, Numbers, Keynote, Pages, GarageBand, etc.) that come free with their Macs.

• Go to Policies > macOS > Advanced Restrictions > Check ‘Disable App Store app adoption’. 

Hope you find these suggestions useful!

Cheers!
    Emma Jones
    Hexnode UEM

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by  Michelle.
  • Participant

lennon

Participant

Hey thank u. These are exactly what i was looking for!
    Also can i apply these restrictions on iphones coz my dept have a bunch of them and it would be great if we could block access to app store in there as well….

• Hi @lennon. Nice to see you again!

For iOS devices, we provide the option to blacklist ‘App Store’ similar to macOS to completely restrict and remove it from the user’s device.

You can also go to Policies iOS > Restrictions > Uncheck ‘Show App store on the device’ to disable App Store from the device.

Hope that helps!

Cheers!
    Emma Jones
    Hexnode UEM