Hexnode supports both On-premises and Cloud deployment models. Hexnode MDM on-premises edition is packaged as a Virtual appliance(ovf) file. Once the payment is completed successfully, the ovf file will be sent to you along with the credentials required to log in to Hexnode. The Open Virtualization Format (ovf) is a platform-independent, open-source standard for distributing software applications for Virtual Machines. You can either import an OVF virtual machine and run it on VMware Workstation which converts the virtual machine from OVF format to VMware runtime format or use a VirtualBox to import the ovf file. So, let us see how to deploy Hexnode on-prem edition using VMware Workstation. For this, you must first install VMware Workstation on your machine.
VMware Workstation System Requirements
X86 based hardware with 64-bit Intel and AMD Processors
- 1.3GHz or faster core speed
- 4GB RAM recommended
Supported Host Operating Systems(64-bit)
VMware Workstation Pro can be installed on Windows and Linux Systems.
- Windows 10
- Windows 8
- Windows 7
- Windows Server 2016
- Windows Server 2012
- Ubuntu 14.04 and above
- CentOS 6.0 and above
- Oracle 6.0 and above
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 and above.
- SUSE Linux 12 and above
Hexnode System Requirements
Consider the following requirements before installing Hexnode on your machine.
- Google Chrome 40 and later versions
- Safari 7 and later versions
- Mozilla Firefox 36 and later versions
- Internet Explorer 9 and later versions
- Install and launch VMware Workstation on your machine.
- Under File > Open, select the ‘HexnodeMDMVirtualServer‘ ovf file from your machine and click on Open.
- Provide a suitable name for the new virtual machine and browse the target destination where the virtual machine files are to be saved. Click on Import.
- Click Cancel to cancel the import or click Retry if the import fails. A status bar will indicate the progress of the process.
- After the file has been imported successfully, the virtual machine appears in the virtual machine library.
- Power On your virtual machine.
- Configure Memory Settings: Click on ‘Edit virtual machine settings‘ to configure various hardware settings such as memory, processor, disk drives, NAT Settings and so on. When allocating memory, you need to consider both VMware and Hexnode memory requirements.Suppose that you want to enroll 500 devices.You would need around 4GB memory.Set the arrow pointer to 4GB under Virtual Machine Settings > Memory Settings as specified in the following image.
- Configure NAT Settings: Under Network Adapter Settings, select the Network Connection type ‘Bridged:connected directly to the physical network‘.This mode is chosen to connect the virtual machine to the network via the network adapter in the host system which enables the virtual machine to connect to the LAN that the host system uses.This mode works with both wired and wireless host network adapters.
- On your web browser, type in the IP Address of your machine. You will be redirected to Hexnode MDM login page.
Hexnode requires the following ports be open for communication.
Before you can start enrolling devices in Hexnode, you need to configure the following settings.
Once you have successfully setup the configurations, the next step is to enroll devices.
- iOS devices running iOS 4 and later versions.
- Windows phones running 8.1 and later versions.
- Windows tablets, desktops running 10 and later versions.
- Smartphones running Android 2.3 and later versions.