Distribute iOS enterprise app
An enterprise app or an in-house app is an application that is developed and used within an organization. As enterprise apps are not meant to be available to the public, they are not published in the App Store. Hexnode can distribute such apps to devices seamlessly.
The process includes adding the app to UEM console and then installing it to devices.
Steps to add iOS enterprise apps to Hexnode Console
- Go to the Apps tab.
- Select +Add Apps > Enterprise App.
- Select the radio button with Apple’s icon.
- There will be two options available:
- Upload with IPA file: Click on ‘Choose file’ and select an IPA file from your system.
- Upload from manifest URL: Provide the URL for the location where the app resides.
- Select a category available from the list. To add missing categories, press the add (+) button and type in the category.
- Give a description about the app in the Description text box.
- There’ll be two advanced settings – Remove on Disenroll and Prevent App Backup.
- Remove on Disenroll option will uninstall the enterprise app if the device is disenrolled.
- Prevent App Backup will prevent the app data from backing up.
- Check the Send App Configuration option and choose the XML file for pre-configuring in-app settings. Learn more
- Check the option Notify admin via email once app upload succeeds/fails to notify the admin about the app upload status via email.
There are two ways to install app(s):
- Go to Manage, select the device to which the app needs to be installed, click on the Actions button, and select Install Application. Select the app(s) from the list > Done.
- From Manage tab, click on the device name. Choose Actions > Install Application. Select the app(s) from list and click Done.
You can also add an enterprise app from Policies.
How to install enterprise apps to devices using policies
Enterprise apps can be pushed as required apps via policies.
- Go to Policies > iOS.
- Provide a policy name and suitable description.
- Click on App Management > Required Apps > +Add > select Add App or Add Group.
- Select the enterprise apps added to App inventory. If you’ve created an App Group at Apps > App groups, then select the app group from the list.
- Go to Policy Targets and click on +Add Devices.
- Select the device you want to associate the policy to and click OK to confirm. You can also associate this policy with a device, group or even a domain.
What happens at the device end?
In the case of the supervised device, the enterprise app gets installed automatically. On the other hand, unsupervised devices and devices enrolled via user enrollment receive a notification for installing the app.