Change admin password

expand collapsive

Not able to figure out how to change mac pswd using hexnode. Old admin left the job and I am the replacement. He has given me his pswd but I want to put  pswd that is easy for me to remember. Need to change the admin pswd in over 150 macs running Big Sur. HELP!!

All Replies

• Hello Amanda,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

Hexnode lets you run remote scripts on macOS 10.11+. You can easily change the password of the admin account by creating a script that has the command:

sysadminctl -adminUser $ADMINACCOUNTNAME -adminPassword $CURRENTPASSWORD -resetPasswordFor $ADMINACCOUNTNAME -newPassword $NEWPASSWORD.

The arguments required are indicated with $ symbol. This command requires 4 arguments. Run this script on all your devices using Hexnode. From the Manage tab, select all the required devices and click Actions > Execute Custom Script. Upload the script file and give the necessary details. Finally, click Execute to confirm your action. Read our help doc on  executing scripts to know more.

The action Clear Password can only be performed on iOS and Android devices. It is used to erase the device password.

Cheers!!
    Deborah Timothy
    Hexnode UEM

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by  Deborah.
  • Hello Kolton,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

Just like in macOS, you can execute scripts on Windows 10 devices with version 1709 or above. To change the admin account password, use the command:

net user ADMINACCOUNTNAME NEWPASSWORD

Refer to our documentation on executing scripts on windows devices to get the step-wise explanation of the process.

Cheers!!
    Deborah Timothy
    Hexnode UEM