Removing unmanaged apps from Hexnode managed iOS devices

expand collapsive

I have many ipads given to my employees for work purpose. But they are installing other unintended apps to these devices. Can I identify them from Hexnode portal? And I need to remove them also.

All Replies

• Participant

alexa-jospehine-collins

Participant

thank you elfie… I found them in the portal listed as unmanaged apps in the applications tab. But there is no option to delete them now. How can I do that?

• Hexnode

Michelle

Thank you Alexa for reaching out to us!

You can handle this scenario in three different ways. Firstly, as Elfie addressed, you can convert these unmanaged apps to managed apps, and then remove them from the devices. If your devices are supervised, then these unmanaged apps would get converted to managed apps, and then you can delete these apps from the Applications sub-tab of that particular device. However, if they are non-supervised devices, then a device-end confirmation is required for converting these unmanaged apps to managed apps.

Then, you can try the next method. You can whitelist only the required applications, so that rest of the applications will be blocked from the device. If the devices are supervised, then these apps will be hidden from the device. On the other hand, if they are non-supervised, then the device would be marked as non-compliant, thus notifying the admin regarding the presence of the blacklisted app.

And the third possibility is to block the app installation from the App Store.

Hope this answers your query.

Cheers!
    Michelle Hendricks
    Hexnode MDM

• Participant

alexa-jospehine-collins

Participant

That sounds pretty cool Michelle. Let me try out these methods. My devices are non-supervised, so I guess it would be ideal to prevent app store on these devices.

• Hexnode

Michelle

Hey Elfie!

Thank you for reaching out to us.

You can disable app store by disabling the option ‘Show App Store on the device’ under Policies > iOS > Restrictions > Allow Application Settings.

Disable App Store on IOS

This restriction works on iOS 4+ and supervised iOS 13+ devices.

Cheers!
    Michelle Hendricks
    Hexnode MDM