Managing multiple iPads with a PC?

expand collapsive

First of all, I apologize if this is a stupid question, or if it is answered, or if I’m posting to the wrong place. I am completely new to this. So again, my apologies.

I run a salon and just decided to provide iPads to each of our stylists and their clients. In total there are 20 iPads. It was a good concept, but now I’m puzzled by how I should go about managing all of them. My goal is:

-Have a ‘master’ passcode on all iPads (they are salon property after all) and stylists can apply their own passcode, but they shouldn’t be able to change or delete the ‘master’

-Ability to manage certain settings and perhaps lock some settings too

-Ability to push wall paper, files, and screensavers to the iPads over wifi (when not being used, iPads are placed on stands and I would like to loop photo slideshow with product advertisement)

-Individual stylists should be able to log on to itunes with their own account to purchase apps (aside from a couple of free apps, the salon is not providing any paid apps)

-Have some kind of IM system so front desk can alert stylist of client arrival

I consider myself kind of savvy when it comes to technology, but I don’t have much experience with iPads and iOS. I run everything on PC and hope that there is a way I can manage all of it from my PC over wifi. I’ve done some reading about MDM but the learning curve is too steep at this point. Any pointers or insights anyone can share will be greatly appreciated!!!

Much thanks in advance!!!

All Replies

• Participant

Josh

Participant

Hi Kay

I don’t think this is a stupid question, and you don’t need to apologize. Here’s what you’ve asked for.

1. A master password.

You cannot put a master password to the iPad, it’s unsupported by Apple. So, we can look into an alternative.

Let the user choose a password for the iPad. You can always clear it remotely from Hexnode MDM. From the Management tab, select a device, and on the Action drop-down, select Clear Password. It’s simple as that.

2. Manage and lock iOS settings.

You can do that. You’ll have your own Hexnode MDM portal for managing devices. And on the portal, we have listed the iPad settings which you can change remotely or block user access.

3. Push wallpaper, files and screensaver.

You can push wallpapers over Wi-Fi. But, screensavers and files, no! We are working on it. Have a look at the ‘What’s Cooking‘ section to know more about the features which are under development.

As a workaround, you can use kiosk mode (‘single app kiosk mode’, to be accurate). With single app kiosk, you can launch an app remotely, an app which can create and display slideshows with the images on the device. However, with file management not available yet, you might need to add the images manually to the device.

4. Log in to iTunes with the stylists’ accounts.

With Apple’s Volume Purchase Program (VPP), you can distribute apps to the devices (no matter the stylists are logged in to their individual iTunes accounts). They can purchase any app from iTunes if they wish.

5. IM system.

Anyone with an admin access to Hexnode MDM portal can send messages to the devices. Thus, if the front desk has access to the portal, a message can be sent to the connected device(s).

Hope these answers helped. If you still have doubts, let us know. We are happy to help.

Good day,
    Josh