Screen sharing in Zoom requires Admin approval

expand collapsive

Hi after Big Sur update on Mac our users are not able to enable Screen Sharing on Zoom application. They are asked to provide admin access to enable Zoom in the screen recording option under System Preference. Is there a way to enable the Screen Recording settings using Hexnode or at least allow users to manage the settings themselves.

All Replies

• Hi @anneli-27, starting macOS Big Sur 11, Apple allows Screen Recording permission to be granted only by a user with administrator privilege. Standard users would not be able to modify this setting.

If you are onboarding a new user and you would to give them administrative privilege, you can do that from Hexnode UEM by creating the user account through device actions. While creating the user account, select the Account Type as Administrator.

Note: Currently you can configure the privacy preferences for an app from Policy > macOS > Security > Privacy Preferences by simply selecting the privacy option and setting a preference, but for the Screen Recording option, you can only disable user access or set access to default (meaning only admins on the system can enable the option) using this method.

Hope I was able to help.

Cheers!
    Zach Goodman
    Hexnode UEM

• Participant

anneli-27

Participant

the users are already active so we cannot go with this suggestion. If a custom profile can be added to enable system users to modify the settings, then that would be great. I did some research myself and saw JAMF already has that feature.
    What about app configurations, is that a different thing?

• @anneli-27, Thank you for sharing your suggestion. The feature is under consideration in our product roadmap, please stay tuned for our latest feature updates at Release Notes.

Coming to app configurations, we do provide a feature to push app configurations for managed apps. App configuration can be used to modify the app settings and behavior during the app deployment. However, this will not be able to modify system level settings.

Hope I was able to help.
    Cheers!
    Zach Goodman
    Hexnode UEM

• @anneli-27, You can now allow users to grant the Screen Recording permission for an app using Hexnode’s Privacy Preference policy. To do that,

1. Create a new Policy or open an existing policy by going to the Policies tab.
    2. Inside the policy page, navigate to macOS > Security > Privacy Preferences.
    3. Select + Add new preference and find the option Let user authorize under the Screen Recording label.
    4. Select your app(s) and save the policy.
    5. Deploy the policy to your target devices.

Cheers!
    Zach Goodman
    Hexnode UEM