Unable to install VPP Apps

expand collapsive

hello everyone, I had added some of my students as users to the Apple School Manager. I had purchased a VPP app that comprised of some excellent study materials and deployed it to the students. But they’re saying they are unable to install it from App Store. Apparently, a message is shown saying their Apple ID can’t be used to install apps. Something about it being managed and all. I’m kinda new to all this, so could someone please suggest what I must do?

Thanks in advance
Clinton

All Replies

• Thanks for reaching out to us, @Clinton!

This is because the students are using managed Apple IDs, which cannot be used for any commercial transactions such as in-app purchases, storage, or service purchases. So, when the students log in to the App Store with the managed Apple ID, they won’t be able to install the app purchased via VPP. They’ll probably encounter an error message “This Apple ID cannot be used to make purchases.” A quick solution for this problem is, you can push these apps via Hexnode’s app management features such as the Mandatory Apps policy and Install Application action. You can choose the VPP app and deploy it to the required devices.
    To check the features that are available for managed Apple ID in ASM, please refer to this
    blog post on the same.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
    Gabriel Galbraith
    Hexnode UEM

• Thanks for reaching out, @Buzz!

You can renew the VPP token (known as legacy library token) in the Hexnode portal.

1. First, log in to Apple Business Manager.
    2. Choose Apps and Books under Settings, click on My Server Tokens and select the Download option.
    3. You can upload it in the Hexnode portal by clicking on Renew VPP Token file.

For detailed steps, please check the documentation on VPP token renewal.

Hope that helps.

Gabriel Galbraith
    Hexnode UEM

• Participant

cheryl_2

Participant

While trying to install a few VPP applications in my iOS devices, I was getting an error message in the device asking me to login to iTunes so that Hexnode can manage and install apps. Is this really required? Aren’t we already purchasing the licenses in the VPP portal? Please check if this is an issue on your side.

• Hey Cheryl,

Thank you for reaching out to us!

The licenses for VPP apps are purchased from the Apple Business Manager / Apple School Manager portal. Once the licenses are purchased, you can seamlessly install the applications on your devices. This looks like an app-specific issue and is not caused by a glitch from our side. However, you can try the following troubleshooting methods to resolve the issue:

1. Remove the application from the Home Screen and initiate the app installation again.
    2. Restore the device and re-initiate the app installation.
    3. Check the number of available VPP licenses for the application. If there are no licenses available, you can purchase new licenses from the ABM or ASM portal.
    4. Check the validity of the VPP token. If the token has expired, you need to renew the Volume Purchase Program token.
    5. Install the application manually from the App Store and check whether the application is installed in the device. If the app is still not getting installed on the device, the issue could be with the application.

If you are still having difficulty installing the VPP apps, you can contact us at mdm-support@hexnode.com. We will be more than happy to help you out.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
    Chris Coleman
    Hexnode UEM