Is it necessary to enroll an iOS device via ABM

expand collapsive

Hi guys. Is it necessary that I need to have an account in ABM to enroll my iPhone into Hexnode?

Tags:

All Replies

• Participant

Maryam

Participant

Hey guys! I had a small doubt… If both the enrollment methods (using Hexnode app and DEP) provide the same features, what is the advantage of enrolling the device via ABM/DEP (I believe both are the same)?

• Hey Maryam,

Thank you for reaching out to us!

You can make use of both the enrollment methods (using the Hexnode MDM app and via DEP) to gain access to the basic MDM features. However, you will be able to access the advanced MDM features if you enroll your device via Apple’s Device Enrollment Program. Some of the additional benefits of enrolling a device via DEP are:

1. OTA Supervision – This lets you have additional control over your device by setting additional settings and automating actions.
    2. Out of the box enrollment – Configurations will be applied and enrollment will take place automatically during the initial device start-up.
    3. Non-removable DEP profile – You will not be able to disenroll the device or remove the DEP profile by performing a device wipe. You will have to release the device from inside the ABM/ASM portal.

A bunch of advanced restrictions and some MDM features become available only if your iOS devices are supervised. You can supervise your device using the Apple Configurator Enrollment method.

Although enrollment via DEP provides you with additional features and restrictions, you should be able to perform most of the necessary features in BYOD scenarios if you enroll your device using the Hexnode application. In the case of company-owned devices, you will have to make use of the additional features and restrictions to ensure all the corporate data remains secure.

Hope I was able to answer your query.

Cheers!
    Chris Coleman
    Hexnode UEM