How to migrate from device admin to android enterprise?

expand collapsive

I was able to effectively implement this policy in my devices before. It was set to ask users to keep a password policy with minimum 4-digit length automatically on enrollment. But now the new devices being enrolled does not show this prompt. I have got the device and checked in the policy section of the app – there I was able to see the policy but why is it not asking users to set password? Anyone faced the same problem?
The new devices are running on Operating system – Android 10
Enrollment is authenticated using local credentials

Edit – changed topic, why is password policy not effective on my device -> How to migrate from device admin to android enterprise?

All Replies

• Participant

Heidi

Participant

You must be using the generic android enrollment method. It shows a note while setting the device password policy for Android.

Password note Hexnode

Any particular reason you are still using this enrollment method? I mean the generic android enrollment; android enterprise is the recommended mode for business environment. What you get with Hexnode’s generic android enrollment is the device admin method of device management. Here the app is the device admin and it needs special permission to administer device (you’ll see, have to enable a ton of permissions for the app on enrollment). Android enterprise provide enhanced privacy, security and management capabilities with its work container. Hexnode will only administer the work profile in this case and no device admin permission required. Great stuff for BYOD or even COPE devices.
    After Google released Android Q(that would be android 10), I have read many of the Device Admin APIs were discontinued. The password problem you mentioned must be related to this. (Found official reference – https://developers.google.com/android/work/device-admin-deprecation )

Tldr; Check the notes before you configure a policy, there are lots of important informations there 😉

• Hello @Orla-Moriss, you seem to be using the legacy android enrollment method. We have made some changes in our features for regular android enrollments following the release of Android 10, which includes –
    1. You may no longer disable the camera.
    2. For password restrictions, no options other than Failed attempts and Auto-lock after will work.

Learn more about all the changes in detail from this blog article.

Regards,
    Zach Goodman
    Hexnode UEM

• @heidi. missed the note! Yes have heard Android Enterprise is great for managing devices. We already started with the regular enrollment method. So, we are continuing with that as the features were fitting our requirements. Also, the plans for enterprise would be different, I think.

• @Orla-Moriss, you can seamlessly migrate to Android Enterprise for all your existing and new device enrollments with Hexnode UEM. Let me elaborate –
    Migrating to Android Enterprise would involve three steps (sample given below) which may be modified as per your deployment needs –

1. Charting the migration plan
      1. Decide the mode of enrollment for the device in Android Enterprise. You have the option to enroll your devices either as device owner or profile owner.
      2. Go to Manage tab and create a device group with all your devices to migrate. Name the device group as ‘Migrate device’. By clearly grouping devices you can systematically proceed with the migration.
      3. If you plan to use the pre-approved method of enrollment, go to Reports > Device Reports > All Devices and search ‘Migrate device’ this should list all devices in the group.
      (You may download the filtered list as a CSV file from here. The pre-approved method of enrollment will automatically add the users and their device before actual enrollment. You may modify the downloaded CSV file to easily create a pre-approved list for the migration.)
      4. Make a note of all the previously associated policies and assets on these devices.
      When you perform migration on the device, the device will get a new identity so it’s important to visually map the old policy and assets deployed to this new identity.
      5. Plan how you’ll enroll the device into Android Enterprise, disassociate the old device identity and re-associate the old policies and assets.

Note: Make sure to inform users well in advance of your plans so that they can be prepared for the change.

2. Enrolling the device on Hexnode Android Enterprise program
      1. Enrolling the device
        (The below steps may involve activity on the end-device)
        Applies to Profile owner enrollment –

1. On the portal, check if the Hexnode for Work app is added under the Apps tab. Add the app if not already added by selecting + Add Apps > Store App.
          2. Deploy the Hexnode for Work app to the migrating devices from device actions.
          3. Ask users to install the app and follow on-screen instructions to complete enrollment.
          4. Disenroll the device identity associated with the legacy enrollment from Hexnode.
          5. Inform users they may uninstall the Hexnode MDM app from their devices.

Applies to device owner enrollment –

1. On the portal, initiate a wipe device command for the devices.
          2. Disenroll and remove the device on the portal.
          3. On successful device reset, provide users with further instructions to enroll. Refer Help documentation for assistance.
      2. Pre-approving devices
        Add the devices as pre-approved devices on your portal and ask the device users to enroll accordingly.
        For pre-approved devices, you may associate your policies in advance before actual device enrollment (mentioned in the next step) and then, continue with the enrollment.
    3. Migrating your configurations
      Associate the previously applied policy and assets with the new device identity.

In this respect, you will find the Android Enterprise Migration Guide on our Help Center and our blog article on the same helpful.
    Also, please check if your plan supports the features mentioned here and validate your case thoroughly before trying the steps.

Hope I was able to help.
    Cheers!
    Zach Goodman
    Hexnode UEM

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by  Zach Goodman.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by  Zach Goodman.
  • Participant

Mateo

Participant

Hii, we’re also interested in onboarding our devices into android enterprise. But we don’t want to involve google’s play store in our workflow as employees have to use their personal google account to download Hexnode.

• @zach, @heidi Thank you for your answers. We’re absolutely considering a migration now. Have scheduled a demo with Hexnode regarding this.
    P.S. I have also changed the initial title for all the future site visitors with the same scenario asm ours.