Private app update from the managed google play console unsuccessful

expand collapsive

While updating a private app from managed google play iframe I encountered an error Use the original package name for the published app.

This is how I did it from managed google apps tab of the Hexnode portal. I selected Private apps, chose the app, clicked edit and uploaded the new apk and saved it. need help.

All Replies

• Hexnode

Catherine

Keymaster

Happy to help you @Riker!

The steps that you performed are exact. However, as you update any private app from the Google Play console, you should be mindful of certain other factors. While preparing the updates, ensure that the newly developed app meets the following criteria:

1. The package name of the new app must be the same as the package name of the current version.
    2. The version code of the latest APK should be greater than the current version.
    3. The newly uploaded app bundle or APK must be signed with the same signature.

Since you have come across the error stating the requirement of the original package name, you might have uploaded a version with a different package name. Kindly ascertain that the package names of both versions are identical.

I hope it helps you. Feel free to contact us for more queries.

Greetings!
    Catherine George
    Hexnode UEM

• Participant

Riker

Participant

That was helpful. I verified both the package names and found them different. May b the next time when developer creates an update if it has the same package name as its older version I will not run into similar situation?

• Hexnode

Catherine

Keymaster

Well. The private apps that were installed on the devices using the Mandatory Apps policy get automatically updated. On the contrary, if they were pushed via the Install Application action, you will have to repeat the action across the target devices once again.

• Participant

Cohen

Participant

Hey, saw this chat and thought someone could help. New IT manager here. I found out that the previous person to hold this post had deployed managed google private apps. Now the developers of an app have pushed an update but the app isn’t updated in our android phones. Have confirmed its not a connectivity issue. Please help.
    Thanks and regards
    Cohen

• Thanks for helping out, @Amira @ricardo!
    @Cohen, since there are no kiosk policies or any blacklisted apps, the issue could be occurring due to some other reasons:

• The Play Store restriction might be enabled. Under Policies > Android > Advanced Restrictions > Allow App Settings, ensure that Google Play Store is enabled. If the option is disabled, it will restrict app installations and updates.
    • Ensure that the devices are properly connected to the internet network.
    • Check if data saver is enabled for Google Play Store and/or Google Play Services.
    • Ensure that the latest update is compatible with the devices.
    • Check if the update has been released in your region.

Please check and update if the issue is resolved.

Gabriel Galbraith
    Hexnode UEM